Find your local library and national service contact numbers

HMRC Contact Number: 0300 200 3300


If you need to contact the HMRC but just for a general inquiry then you need the dedicated HM Revenue and Customs customer service line – there are a number of choices for you to ring depending on price and if you are calling from a mobile, but all of them will connect you with advisors who can answer your income tax questions or national insurance queries.

The general number is 0300 200 3300 but if you are ringing from a mobile phone then go for the cheaper option of – 0300 200 3300.

There is another number as well, which is not directly from the HMRC but is a third party call forwarding company. If you call their number they will connect you with the right HMRC department to save you hunting around for numbers. However, if you do use 0300 200 3300 you need to know that your call will cost around 7p per minute.


HMRC Useful Numbers

Self-assessment inquiries – 0300 200 3310

Tax credit inquiries – 0345 300 3900

Child benefit inquiries – 0300 200 3100

National insurance inquiries – 0300 600 0643

PAYE tax inquiries – 0300 200 0341

Corporation tax inquiries – 0843 509 2500

VAT inquiries – 0300 200 3701

Income tax/personal tax – 0843 509 2500


Here is a brief overview of some of the most common taxes people call the HMRC to ask questions about:


Self-Assessment Tax – this is paid by those who work for themselves or run companies, and requires them to submit a self-assessment tax form and is paid in two parts – one in January and one in July. Any late payments or failure to complete the self-assessment form in time will lead to fines and penalties.

VAT (Value Added Tax) – this is also paid by people who run a business which is VAT-registered and there are a number of deadlines through the year depending on a variety of factors. Full details on VAT can be found on the HMRC website.

Pay as you Earn (PAYE)  – this is the type of tax which your employer takes directly from your salary, along with national insurance payments. It is taken automatically every time you get paid and the details will show up on your payslip. If you have any concerns about how much PAYE you are paying, then you should get in touch with the HMRC to ask. The HMRC will send you a tax code every year, which your employer uses to assess how much tax you should be paying so if you think your code is wrong or you are paying too much, then give them a call.

The HMRC website contains information about tax credits, child benefit and all the elements of tax and benefits that you might need to know about. If you can’t see the number you need here, then you might be able to find it on the site here: